What is the recovery time for eye bag removal surgery?
The recommended recovery time tends to be 10 to 14 days. After that, you will be able to return to work and your normal activities. Since it is an outpatient procedure, you don’t need to stay overnight at the clinic. Your surgeon will give you post-surgery instructions on what care to take for the treated area. Following them is essential for a smooth and quick recovery. You might be recommended to apply ice packs for the first two days after surgery. The cold temperature will help you minimize swelling and bruising in the area.
Are there any risks or side effects related to eye bag removal surgery?
Some of the possible complications after eye bag removal procedure include:
- swelling and bruising;
- infection and bleeding;
- cysts or skin discolouration.
There is a minimal chance of experiencing any side effects if eye bag removal surgery is performed by a well trained and qualified plastic surgeon in Singapore. Having trained in Korea, Dr Shens has had more than five thousand cases completed and can provide quality care for patients.
What causes EYE BAGS?
- Genes. Often eye bags are hereditary. It is difficult to remove these types of bulges using expensive eye bag creams or non-surgical procedures. Although laser resurfacing may improve the skin around the eyes, it cannot completely eliminate hereditary eye bags. Surgical eye bag removal might be the only way to get rid of them.
- Ageing or senescence. It happens when the tissues around the eyes and the supportive muscles become weaker. Due to that, we lose fat from our subcutaneous tissue, which makes the lower eyelids appear swollen. In case you start taking proper care of your skin and the area around your eyes from an early age, it might be possible to prevent the appearance of this type of eye bags. But once they occur, you cannot easily get rid of them. Laser treatments and eye bag creams might be useful in case you have light to moderate puffiness. However, laser therapy has a temporary effect, so you may need to repeat the treatment repeatedly. In addition, this eye bag removal procedure is not appropriate for all skin types.
- Water retention. Excessive consumption of foods rich in salt and alcoholic beverages can definitely have a negative impact on your face and skin, especially on the under-eye area. As everyone knows, salty food is usually the main culprit of fluid accumulation, and the most affected part is the area below the eyes. Some natural treatments and non-surgical procedures may help you reduce the appearance of bags under the eyes caused by water retention. However, if you have severe eyebags, you may need surgical treatment.
- Allergies. Seasonal allergies and dry skin and eyes can also contribute to the appearance of dark circles and eye bags. When you have an allergic reaction, your body releases histamines, which can cause itchy and red eyes. This can cause you to rub your eyes, increasing the symptoms and contributing to swelling in the lower eyelid. Those eye bags usually disappear when you don’t have contact with the allergen.
- Pseudo eyebags (pretarsal muscle). These are eye bags that are actually caused by loss of volume in the mid-face and thinning of the skin over the eye socket. Those make the under-eye area look protruded and blood vessels more prominent. The volume loss in that area may occur as a consequence of weight loss or just because of ageing. For those type of bags under the eyes, the surgeon may recommend filler injection, skin boosters or fat grafting. If excess fat is observed on the lower eyelids, a surgical eye bag removal procedure might be needed.
- Chronic medical conditions. There are some health conditions such as thyroid disease or kidney issues that may contribute to the presence of bags and eye puffiness. In these cases, it is necessary to treat the underlying condition first.
There are a variety of causes of bags under the eyes, and obviously, the choice of the best medical treatment depends on each individual’s condition. However, scarless eye bag removal surgery in Singapore tends to be the only permanent and reliable solution as the other treatment methods give only short term results. After surgical removal, recurrence would typically take in excess of 8-10 years*.
Can you get rid of eye bags naturally?
Applying cold compresses, chilled spoons, or topical creams may help you shrink the blood vessels and reduce the appearance of bags and dark circles under the eyes. However, these natural treatment options do not work all the time, and this is especially true if your eye bags are caused by ageing or are genetically inherited.
Natural eye bag treatments and eye creams are better to be used preventively before developing severe eye bags or under-eye circles.
Is non-surgical eye bag removal better than surgical?
Surgical eye bag removal is one of the best cosmetic procedures for eliminating bags and puffiness under the eyes. The majority of people who undergo this operation don’t need future touch-ups because their under-eye bags are eliminated for life. Yes, some of the non-surgical eye bag removal procedures can smooth and significantly improve skin elasticity and the appearance of the under-eye contour. However, the results might be not long-lasting. In addition, such procedures may cause unpleasant side effects. Surgical eye bag removal is the gold standard as it can completely eliminate them long term.
Do non-surgical methods get rid of EYE BAGS?
Here are some of the commonly believed non-surgical options for eye bags and dark eye circle removal that are available in Singapore:
- Radiofrequency or needle-based delivery of heat – Patients have been hoodwinked into believing that insertion of a needle with radiofrequency removes or melts fat permanently. What actually happens during this eye bag removal treatment is that multiple needles are punctures into the skin and delivers heat. These needles may sometimes burn the eye skin and leave pigments or permanent scars on the lower eyelids that are impossible to remove. The melted fat sometimes forms Cysts known as fat necrotic lumps. These lumps can only be removed surgically, and patients can often feel them in the lower eyelid, and it shows when you smile.
- Laser melting of fats – A similar non-surgical treatment to melt the fats causes a much-loathed swelling in the lower eyelids. The swelling can be a lot worse than the actual surgical removal of eye bags. It also causes similar side effects of the procedure as mentioned above.
- Dermal fillers – Injectable fillers might be used to restore the volume in the tear through and improve the appearance of dark eye circles. They can make the under-eye area look fuller and smoother. However, if you have protruded lower eyelids caused by genes or fluid retention, this treatment will not help you. In addition, dermal fillers do not provide long-lasting results – approximately six months. It means that you will need to repeat the procedure regularly if you want to maintain your outcomes. A better alternative to dermal fillers is an aesthetic procedure called fat grafting or fat transfer. It is a surgery where fat is taken from a certain area of the body and injected into the area under the eyes. The biggest advantages of fat grafting are that it uses your own fat and gives permanent results.
Scarless Eyebag Removal by Dr Shens
The simplest solution would be a procedure that targets the removal of the eye bags surgically. It is a fine and small incision within the lower eyelid skin. Having performed more than 1000 cases so far, Dr Shens uses a surgical technique that does not leave any visible scars on the skin. This eyebag removal procedure is performed under local anaesthesia, and it takes as much as 10 mins per eyelid.
Having trained in Korea, Dr Shens confers :
- Low downtime
- No external scars
- Simple and safe procedure
- No stitches to remove
- Early return to work
- Minimal bruising
- Scarless eyebrow removal
Other advantages of getting scarless eye bag removal surgery in Singapore
- The procedure enhances overall self-confidence and self-esteem.
- It gets rid of dark eye circles, eye wrinkles, loose skin and that tired-looking eyes.
- By getting eye bag removal surgery, you can reverse premature ageing as the procedure has a skin tightening effect.
- It is one of the easiest and long-lasting methods to get rid of bags under the eyes completely.
Please contact Shens Clinic if you are considering scarless eye bag removal surgery in Singapore. Our trained professionals will provide all the information you may need and also answer any questions you may have regarding the procedure.