Scarless Double Eyelid Stitching by Shens Clinic
At Shens Clinic, the Scarless Double Eyelid Creation is done using a triple eyelid stitching method (suture blepharoplasty). This approach is particularly intended for people with no excess skin or fat on the upper eyelids. The original double eyelid stitching technique that goes by the name DST (double eyelid suture and twisted technique) was founded by a Japanese surgeon.
Thanks to his extensive knowledge, Dr Shens has modified this upper blepharoplasty technique for a longer crease with multiple anchor points. His training in Korea allowed him to change this technique to create a niche procedure which he has since performed in more than 1000 individuals in Singapore.
The team at our eyelid surgery clinic comprises Dr Shens and a select group of nurses who have been trained to do the marking of the upper eyelids for more than 10 years. Dr Shens has since been invited to deliver his results from his eyelid procedures in international and local conferences, and the results were always well received.
Come down for a consultation session to find out more about the procedure of double eyelid stitching and the price of double eyelid surgery at Shens Clinic.
Who is this procedure suitable for?
Suitable candidates for Scarless Double Eyelid Stitching by Dr Shens are individuals who don’t have any folds on the upper eyelids, or their crease is less obvious than they would like to be. These include:
- Patients with monolid eyes who don’t have double eyelid fold.
- Patients who have two different types of eyelid creases and their eyes appear asymmetric.
- Individuals with irregular or multiple upper eyelid folds.
- If the person has a low upper eyelid fold where the crease is too low and very little skin can be seen between the eyelid margin and the natural crease.
- When the outer part of the upper eyelid is drooping (Lateral droop of upper eyelid crease).
- In case the patient has inconsistent or uneven eyelid creases.
- People who had previous cutting or stitching eyelids with asymmetry.
- The suture method can also help people with baggy eyelids who find it difficult to wear glasses or contact lenses.
The upper blepharoplasty operation (double eyelid stitching) takes Dr Shens 20 minutes to perform, and it is done under minimal local anaesthesia. There are no scars after this procedure, and it is very well tolerated.
What is the recovery from the DST technique?
The recovery period from scarless double eyelid surgery is quite fast as most patients are able to go back to work in a week. After the procedure, there will be mild bruising and swelling that typically go away in about 2 or 3 days.
You will be given post-surgery care instructions for smooth and quick recovery. The doctor may prescribe you antibiotic ointment and recommend applying ice packs and cold compresses to minimize the swelling. During the healing time, you should avoid exercising and lifting heavy objects.
If eyelids are not rubbed hard, suture points do not snap easily. If there is any residual swelling, it can be covered with makeup. You can also safely use makeup remover or other facial products as these will not affect the suture points.
Are there any risks and side effects related to suture methods?
The double eyelid stitching method carries less risk compared to incisional double eyelid surgery. This is due to the fact that the scarless method does not require any cuttings on the upper eyelids or having general anaesthesia.
Some of the possible complications associated with double eyelid stitching include swelling, bruising, infection or irritation because of the sutures. However, if handled correctly by a skilled double eyelid surgeon, the chance of experiencing any side effects is minimal. Dr Shens is well educated and has years of experience in performing scarless double eyelid surgery procedure. Thanks to his knowledge and intensive training in Korea, he has been able to refine and modify this technique to ensure both high-quality results and a high degree of safety.
Is Scarless Double Eyelid Surgery painful?
Having a surgical procedure on your eyes may sound scary. However, you should not feel any pain during the operation as the double eyelid stitching technique by Dr Shens is performed under local anaesthesia. In addition, it doesn’t require any incisions or cutting of the upper eyelid skin.
Incisional upper eyelid surgery vs non-incisional stitching technique at Shens Clinic
Here are some differences between both incisional and non-incisional suture methods.
- Incisional double eyelid surgery or so-called open blepharoplasty requires exposure and removal of part of structures such as the eyelid muscles and fats with the intention of creating a prominent fold and deep eyelid opening. On the other hand, with the stitching method, there is no cutting or removing of fat from the lids. The crease is created by suture points.
- The incision technique is more suitable for patients with extra and thick skin or ptosis (weakening of the levator muscle), while the non-incisional approach is good for individuals with thinner eyelid skin and asymmetrical, hidden or droopy eyelid fold.
- Since open blepharoplasty requires surgery, the risk of complications is higher compared to the suture technique. Some potential risks of the incision technique are infection, swelling, vision changes (usually temporary), noticeable scar on the incision sites, etc.
- Scarless Double Eyelid Surgery does not leave visible scars on the upper eyelids, while with the incisional procedure, scars tend to be prominent. However, those marks will fade over time.
- Because incisional double eyelid surgery procedure involves cutting and removing eyelid skin, the recovery time is significantly longer (around 2 weeks) than it is with non-incisional surgery, where 2 to 3 days of downtime are required.
- While non-incisional surgery or DST can be easily undone by removing the surgical sutures, open blepharoplasty cannot be reversed as the results are permanent.
What approach and type of eyelid surgery Dr Shens will be used for the surgery depend on a number of factors, including the goal of the patient, eyelid anatomy, the type of skin and so on.
Frequently asked questions
Why do many people want to have double eyelids?
Single eyelids or eyelids without creases make the eyes appear smaller and less prominent. Moreover, skin laxity and puffiness become very noticeable with age. On the other hand, double eyelids make the eyes look more open, brighter and soften the overall features of the face. Thanks to double eyelid procedures, patients have the opportunity to achieve that appearance.
What does crease high mean?
A crease’s height indicates whether the crease is higher or lower. A measure of it is taken where the eyelash margin meets the eyelid margin with the eyes closed. Specifying an appropriate crease height will depend on how large the eyes are and the level of the eyebrows. The position of your fold will be determined during your consultation with the plastic surgeon.
How do you decide between the non-incisional method and open blepharoplasty surgery?
Patients who have excess skin and fat, puffy eyelids or upper eyelid ptosis usually need incisional double eyelid surgery, where this fat tissue is removed. And vice versa, people without loose skin on the lids better candidate to go for scarless double eyelid surgery. Whether you need incisional or non-incisional procedure will be determined during your consultation with the surgeon.
How long does double eyelid surgery last?
The results from the incisional procedure are permanent. Your double eyelids created with the non-incisional method can remain for over 10 years.
Are there any risks of surgery failure?
For every surgery, there is the possibility of failure. It usually happens when poor and old techniques are used, or inaccurate measurements are taken. If blepharoplasty eyelid surgery is performed by a well trained and experienced surgeon, the chance of failing is very minimal, almost none.
Are there any other non-surgical methods of creating double eyelids?
You can buy products such as double eyelid tape and glue that can be used to create double eyelids. However, you will need to apply them every day. This is not only inconvenient, but these products can also be troublesome.
Long-term use of eyelid glue or tape is often accompanied by skin irritation that results in reactions such as redness, itching and swelling. If you are looking for a harmless and more permanent method that does not involve any forms of cutting, a cosmetic procedure like Korean-Style Double Eyelid Creation can be a great option.
Why choose Scarless Double Eyelid Surgery at Shens Clinic?
Dr Shens is a qualified plastic surgeon with extensive experience in the field of cosmetic and aesthetic procedures such as facelift, neck lift, eye bag removal and many others. Korean-style Plastic Surgery Technique is one of his signature services. He has improved the non-incisional technique by adding more secure suture points to enhance long-term results.
As a provider, Shens Clinic shares patients’ desire for natural-looking eyelids. That is why Dr Shens utilizes an advanced surgical technique that does not require any incisions and, as a consequence, does not leave a scar on the skin. He can achieve this by carefully placing stitches in strategic locations on the upper eyelids rather than requiring a major incision.
DST technique by Dr Shens gives beautiful and natural-looking results. You can achieve the new, refreshing and attractive look you want with the ideal height, shape and depth of your double eyelid creases.
If you want to learn more about double eyelid creation at Shens Clinic, you can contact them or book an appointment with Dr Shens.